Deployment script
Jeffrey Schmitz
2018-12-09 15:59:30 UTC
Fear of the unknown vs. the enemy I know :-)
I have to ask. why do you want to bang your head against a wall to use OSX? Vmware esxi is free, allows you to put a linux distro on a mac mini (multiple instances if you want). I use this in the office to have multiple centos instances on a mac mini. one is for postgresql and the other is for apache. It works great and you can use YUM for updates.
Ted
https://www.vmware.com/products/esxi-and-esx.html <https://www.vmware.com/products/esxi-and-esx.html>
Thanks guys,
I’ll definitely look these over, they look great. I had a quick question/verification. I’m using Mac OS right now and a quick google indicates no apt-get or yum for OS/X. Just want to verify I’ll need to use home-brew or macports for that instead, is that correct?
Btw, I’d love to get off MacOS for deployment but up to now it’s been the path of least resistance. I’m thinking these scripts may change the equation for me.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Jeffrey,
wget https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/webobjects/JavaMonitor.tgz <https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/webobjects/JavaMonitor.tgz> --no-check-certificate
becomes
curl https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/webobjects/JavaMonitor.tgz <https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/webobjects/JavaMonitor.tgz> >JavaMonitor.tgz
I have linked to my version of the install script: http://ftp.agencysacks.com/_Y9AkYUkQgVtlwR <http://ftp.agencysacks.com/_Y9AkYUkQgVtlwR>
compare my script to: http://webobjects.s3.amazonaws.com/wo-install.sh <http://webobjects.s3.amazonaws.com/wo-install.sh>
My script installed git, and a newer version of Java (jdk1.8.0_131)
at the time, I was installing on a centos instance hosted at Amazon. I am not sure is this is the final version of the script. sorry. but it should get you thinking about what you can do.
Ted
Hi Jeff,
But I’m setting up a machine to use for deployment, not deploying an individual app, so I need to get apache configured, the WO adaptor installed, the webobjects tools installed (wotaskd, womonitor), etc. That’s what I was hoping the script would help with as it always turns out to be a laborious process, at least for me.
http://webobjects.s3.amazonaws.com/wo-install.sh <http://webobjects.s3.amazonaws.com/wo-install.sh>
Eyeballing it again now, you'll definitely want to customise it in places—you shouldn't need to pull down Wonder source, or build your own adapter, for example. But it gives you an idea of what you can do. We use our version of it on Amazon Linux on EC2. Should be easily portable to other Unixes.
--
Paul Hoadley
https://logicsquad.net/ <https://logicsquad.net/>
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/tedpet5%40yahoo.com <https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/tedpet5%40yahoo.com>
Theodore Petrosky
2018-12-09 16:05:49 UTC
i was the same way. if you want help, just ask. Getting away from OSX for deployment is really the way to go. Apple does an update, and you are screwed!

Here are the setps:
1. create an account at vmware.
2. dowload the free esxi, and burn it to a dvd

you actually wipe out the osx installation and the mac mini is taken over by esxi!

of course you could also experiment with Amazon Web Services. you can create a free account that you can learn the ropes with. (it’s free for one year)

I have done both.

AWS of course has it’s advantages.

JMHO BTW

Ted
Theodore Petrosky
2018-12-09 16:18:22 UTC
as I said in the original post. you burn the iso to a dvd. then install the hypervisor as the OS of the mini.

https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor.html <https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor.html>

there is a 4 minute video on this page that explains the install.
Thanks Ted,
I’m giving it a look and already have a question. I downloaded the hypervisor, but I’m not sure what to do with it. I’m thinking I need another program to manage the VMs, but I don’t know what that is. I’m sure this is a very basic question, but it’s the stuff you get stuck on when looking at anything new.
Jeff