Practical WebObjects
Lon Varscsak
2018-10-23 20:52:13 UTC
I need to teach a young'un WebObjects. Do you think that Practical
WebObjects is a good starting point? If so, can I still get a copy
somewhere (even if digital)?

-Lon
Lon Varscsak
2018-10-23 21:01:55 UTC
Okay, after going through the index, I kind of came to that conclusion
myself. Thanks for the tip!
I will say no. It was never intended to be a “Learn WebObjects” book and
avoids Wonder, other than a mention or two. As proof that nothing ever
https://www.amazon.ca/Practical-WebObjects-Sacha-Mallais/dp/1590592964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540328088&sr=8-1&keywords=Practical+webOBjects
They don’t mention if the stock is dusty or not

https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Wonders-introduction-creating-applications/dp/3952423300
Chuck
*From: *Webobjects-dev <webobjects-dev-bounces+hill.chuck=
*Date: *Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM
*Subject: *Practical WebObjects
-Lon
Jesse Tayler
2018-10-23 22:11:18 UTC
Those books are great - even the dusty ones have value if you ask me

Then again, the name of the game really is Wonder

What I’d like to know is what are you working on that has young’ins! ?? WO hasn’t seen a lot of those

Okay, after going through the index, I kind of came to that conclusion myself. Thanks for the tip!
I will say no. It was never intended to be a “Learn WebObjects” book and avoids Wonder, other than a mention or two. As proof that nothing ever dies on the Internet, Amazon still sells it and claims that it is in stock:https://www.amazon.ca/Practical-WebObjects-Sacha-Mallais/dp/1590592964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540328088&sr=8-1&keywords=Practical+webOBjects <https://www.amazon.ca/Practical-WebObjects-Sacha-Mallais/dp/1590592964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540328088&sr=8-1&keywords=Practical+webOBjects>
They don’t mention if the stock is dusty or not

This is a far better starting point: https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Wonders-introduction-creating-applications/dp/3952423300 <https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Wonders-introduction-creating-applications/dp/3952423300>
Chuck
Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/jtayler%40oeinc.com
Theodore Petrosky

Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/tedpet5%40yahoo.com
Markus Ruggiero
2018-10-25 07:18:30 UTC
Just for your info: I have updated and streamlined the installation setup and created a quick document. It covers Wonder7 and gives working instructions for macOS Mojave, Windows 10, and Java 10. I did however not update the printed book, but this should not be a problem.

The document is freely available from http://learningthewonders.com

Have fun, and if there are any questions regarding the book come here or contact me directly (author at learningthewonders dot com)

---markus---

Author of Learning The Wonders

Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM
***@kataputt.com
Check out the book about Project Wonder and WebObjects on http://learningthewonders.com/
Jesse Tayler
2018-10-25 20:36:18 UTC
Helpful page, thanks -

And a book!

Well, you are right that "D2W technology remains revolutionary to this day", so I’m glad to see your book points this out!

D2W is commonly misunderstood but is basically THE most effective and logically sound way to capture the configuration details of any data model and any presentation construction.

People often, wrongly, assume they are stuck with this or that or if they need different kinds of layouts or design styles and interface paradigms that D2W cannot be used and that’s not true — it’s very useful to capture those requirements in reliable structure.

A recent journey into the bowels of Modern Look reminds me just how fundamentally versatile D2W is and how we can re-invent it again and again.

If you truly buy into it, and create your architecture design in and around D2W, you can create anything with a machine-like perfection that can only be sustained with this type of logic.

So, thanks! Keep us posted on the book -
The document is freely available from http://learningthewonders.com <http://learningthewonders.com/>

Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM
Check out the book about Project Wonder and WebObjects on http://learningthewonders.com/ <http://learningthewonders.com/>
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/jtayler%40oeinc.com
Maik Musall

Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/tedpet5%40yahoo.com <https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/tedpet5%40yahoo.com>
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/maik%40selbstdenker.ag <https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/maik%40selbstdenker.ag>
Lon Varscsak

https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/lon.varscsak%40gmail.com
Jesse Tayler
2018-10-24 18:25:01 UTC
I wanted to make a type-ahead query similar to ones I had just written in javascript for google places API and such and possibly based on ERMD2WEditToOneTypeAhead.

I’m not certain, but it looks like the ERModernLook type-ahead component basically fetches whatever rows are in the db and then narrows that list as you type?

I see in the AJAX frameworks has all kinds of things ... remote REST stuff ... alas, I’m completely unfamiliar.

Anyone an expert on the contents of Ajax framework?

Thanks for all suggestions, ideas and thoughts!

This ema
Jérémy DE ROYER
2018-10-24 05:52:02 UTC
Hello,

I’ve read both and I do agree than learning the wonder is the starting point.

The one from Chuck is a must have
 for the « old » newbies (;-)

Jérémy

This email sent to ***@ingencys.net